Is Your Car Ready For Summer?
The summer heat can be hard on vehicles, drivers, and passengers. Help keep you vehicle in tip-top shape during the summer months by taking a few moments to perform these routine checks.
• Mitigate heat in the car’s interior. The cabin of a vehicle can reach extreme temperatures in hotter months. Vehicle interior temperatures can soar to triple digits in less than an hour, according to the National Weather Service. Drivers should try to park in shady areas, and use removable sun shades in windshields to keep parked cars cooler. Never leave a pet or a child unattended in a car. Even in moderate heat, human and animal passengers alike can be in danger of heat stroke.
• Check radiator systems. Lots of summer breakdowns happen because a vehicle’s cooling system failed. Check rubber or plastic parts like hoses for cracking or excessive wear, and scrape any collected debris from the grille or other parts of the radiator to avoid overheating. Also ensure your engine has the correct amount of coolant. You can find what kind of coolant and quantity to use in your owner’s manual.
• Change your oil. Extreme temperatures can also put more stress on an engine, and dirty oil can cause damage or poor engine operation. Change the oil to make sure that sludge from the winter season isn’t putting more wear on the engine.
• Inflate tires properly. Changes in temperature and climate can leave tires underinflated. Check each tire and add air as necessary for a safer ride, better fuel economy and less chance of a flat.
• Clean out the car. Too often, drivers don’t think about what’s in their car until something with a relatively low melting point, like chocolate, has run all over the upholstery or the dash. These kinds of messes can be dangerous in some cases – items like disposable lighters can explode or batteries can melt and leak hazardous materials.
Stay in the clear and out of the heat this summer by following these tips! Help keep your families, friends, pets, and yourself safe as the temperatures begin to rise!