Distracted Driving – Safe Driving Practices
Distracted driving is one of the largest causes of car crashes. Do your part to reduce distractions and lower accident rates with these tips. One of the most important things to remember is that texting can wait and is now illegal in the state of Minnesota and Iowa.
Tips for Managing Distractions
- Recognize that driving requires your full attention.
- Use your cell phone only if absolutely necessary.
- If you must use your phone, choose a safe time and place, keeping the conversation short.
- Ask a passenger to place a call for you and, if possible, speak in your place.
- Do not compose, send or read text messages while driving. In Minnesota and Iowa, texting while driving is illegal.
- Ask passengers to help with directions or adjust dashboard controls.
- Secure loose items in the vehicle so they don’t become projectiles or distractions in a sudden stop or crash.
- Avoid intense, complicated or emotional conversations when driving.
- Pull over to care for children.
- Stop to eat or drink, rather than trying to eat or drink while driving.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Program your GPS prior to starting your trip.
- Allow plenty of time for your trip.
– From AAA article “The Facts About Distracted Driving”
Visit our blog often for more car care tips. For more information about services we offer visit us at www.tgkauto.com or to schedule service on your vehicle contact an associate at one of our locations today.
Maplewood – 651.489.9455 | Hugo – 651.407.3611